Thursday, August 11, 2022

The Picnic We Finally Had

When I was kid and we went on vacation by car, we would typically pull into a rest stop and have lunch on a picnic table. My mom would make sandwiches and sometimes they would attract flies and bees, especially the egg sandwiches. For some reason, I've always had fond memories of these times, although fighting insects for lunch wasn't fun.  Possibly the most memorable picnic I've had was when I took my youngest daughter to the local park in Edison when she was around 8 years old and we put down a blanket and I think had McDonalds.  She recalls it as "Picnic at The Poop Park." I do remember a lot of geese(?) walking around and trying to sit somewhere that was clean, however I may have ruined picnics for her.

Going on a picnic has been a running joke with my wife for a long time, because she doesn't really like picnics. Naturally, while we were doing six road days and 3,6000 miles with a dog, the idea of  a picnic seemed a lot more reasonable and possible.  There were a good number of rest stops and parks we stopped at that would have been nice and here are a few of them:





The third one had a great view of a mountain if I had taken the picture from the other side.  The first one was just a great park and the last one was a beautiful rest stop where I almost took a picture of a couple having a picnic, but this is a nicer picture.

The good news is that we did have a little bit of a picnic and it was in an unusual place-McDonalds. It was odd, but behind the McDonalds in the left corner were these two picnic tables and we did sit there for a short time. I was not chased by flies or bees and there was no sign of poop either, and there was no shade and also no scenic view.  Still, a picnic is a picnic. Maybe next time...... 




No comments:

Post a Comment