Monday, April 10, 2023

How Do You Eat Soup?

This should be the last of my New Jersey vacation posts. The most shocking thing I learned on my trip is this-I make too much noise eating soup. I perfectly understand if I'm eating chips and dip, the crunching sound and licking my lips sound, is annoying. There is no question when I am devouring a chicken carcass I make too much noise, but usually it's my stomach growling it's approval. But, eating soup?

What is the correct way to eat soup? I looked this up, because it had to be more complicated than I thought. Mr. Google said,  "Don't place the entire spoon in your mouth  Only fill your spoon 3/4 of the way to avoid spilling." I do put my whole spoon in my mouth, I don't want to lose any and I fill it up all the way. If I have less soup to sip, wouldn't that be more annoying for a longer period of time?"

Secondly, "Soup should be scooped from the side of the bowl furthest from you and sipped(never slurped) from the side of the spoon that faces you."  This is the second problem I have. I take the spoon and submerge it in the middle of the bowl. (I do not count down from 10 to 1, only five to 1.) The sound of the spoon plunging into the soup must be making a loud noise-I will stop this immediately.

Third, "Bring the spoon up to your mouth instead of leaning over the bowl while eating." I always lean, I must be moving the chair at the same time! I thought it works better when you're over the bowl so if you drip it goes back into the bowl and you lose nothing.

Fourth: "To eat the last bit of soup from the bottom of the bowl, tilt the bowl away from you slightly to scoop it up with your spoon." I tilt it towards me! I thought you have a better chance of getting every last drop when it's closer to you. Maybe my spoon is hitting the bottom repeatedly and making loud noises as I am struggling?

Below is a picture of me practicing eating soup.  I didn't make the soup for this picture, because the can opener makes too much noise.





No comments:

Post a Comment