Wednesday, April 26, 2023

I Did Not Go To The Book Fair or The Bookstore Sleep-In

My wife and I had a terrific 4-5 day vacation in Florida,  The wedding was beautiful, we ate some incredible food and the twenty hours driving round trip was easy with no delays.  However, I did miss my favorite book fair in Hunterdon County, New Jersey for the fifth time in the six years since coming to South Carolina. (Two were canceled due to COVID) 

Between 2001 and 2017, I bought books there 16 of 17 years and I bought and read 25-40 books a year.  The last year I lived there I donated back about 500 books. My oldest daughter was there this weekend  and sent me the below picture which only shows a small part of the tens of thousands of books they had.  It happens each April and I'm definitely going next year.


During the weekend I read about another "Book" event. In downtown L.A. is a the largest new and used bookstore in California and it's called, "Last Bookstore."  It's 22,000-square-foot-space has a very unique decor which is why they opened it up to have sleepovers in April.  Some of their customers, about two dozen, have paid around $200 to spend the night in the bookstore.

Inside the bookstore they have a horror vault, classics vault and a book tunnel pictured below.  Customers brought an air mattress, tent, and blankets for their big night.  Although some had a restless night of sleeping, they got in a lot of reading. I think it's a pretty interesting idea and people had a good time.

I wonder if the people who run the book fair would do that? How much would I pay to spend the night at the book fair? 



No comments:

Post a Comment