Tuesday, April 25, 2023

What I Learned on My Florida Vacation

At the age of 62, I am still learning things and some of them I probably should know and other things that may be meaningless or unimportant.  Returning from a family wedding in Florida, here are five things I learned along the trip:

1. WRIST CUSHION: I was explaining to my wife that I have been typing so much that my wrist was red from rubbing against the pull-out thing that holds the keyboard.(I don't know what to call it, little table?) She said that you can get something like this below, but I probably wouldn't like it.  I had never heard of it, but I'm going to give it a shot, whether it looks like this or not.

2.  THE USA TODAY: It almost seems like a different lifetime ago, but for about ten years I worked for THE USA TODAY from about 1992 until late 2001.  I started as a fanatical reader of the paper, then a driver delivering at 3 am, and ended up working a number of years as a district manager and circulation manager.  I absolutely loved reading the paper, but it has changed dramatically in the past twenty years. It used to cost fifty cents and I was shocked to find out this weekend it now cost $3 for one paper.  The newspaper is paper thin and it was disappointing to read it in less than five minutes because there is nothing there to read.  It was a great paper...twenty years ago.

Below is a picture of one of their best front pages, the day of Princess Diana's funeral.  The actual paper sells for $13.50 to $20, I still have some of them from Sept. 5th 1997.  It was an amazing front page.




3. BRAHMIN LUGGAGE: My wife had been collecting and using these luxury handbags and they are incredibly colorful and well made.  I had no idea how big they can get until my wife got a piece of Brahmin luggage. We stopped at an outlet store in West Palm Beach and pictured below is what she walked out with.  I told her it looked big enough to be the bag that Mary Poppins had when she pulled out a bunch of stuff including a large lamp.  Here is the latest member of our family. Fortunately it doesn't eat anything. (Although it looks like it may have just eaten something)


4.  PACK PODS: You can call them "Pack Cubes" or pods, but I've never heard about them until this weekend. It looks to neat to me.  Maybe not watching commercials on TV is a bad thing?



5.  TV REFRESHER COURSE: I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs this, but I really don't know how to use a television remote anymore.  The New York Rangers hockey team was playing a playoff game and they were in overtime and I was standing in front of our hotel television set. The remote was in my hand and I was helpless. The television would go on and I would change the channels and I could not get to the channel until my wife came to the rescue. (The game was over)  Maybe there are refresher courses that exist and I don't know about them? One day, when I get a television set in our house I'll sign up for that course. I would have taken a selfie of myself, but I was holding a remote and a cell phone- I'm not that coordinated.




No comments:

Post a Comment