Sunday, May 7, 2023

DOG PREACHING ON THE STREET

In the old days, and maybe somewhere still today, there used to be something called, "Street preaching." People would stand on the corner and preach the gospel or whatever religion they believed in.  A lot of things have changed over the years and today, there is something new: "Dog preaching."

Our first morning in Delray Beach, Florida, my wife and I took a walk on a beautiful morning in the downtown area. About two blocks away, a woman was walking towards us walking her dog. My wife very quickly struck up a conversation with her by commenting about her dog.  She was from Boston and the dog had a Boston Celtics insignia on his/her collar.

In a very short time, my wife had her phone in her hand and was showing the woman a picture of our dog, Odin, who was home with a sitter.  I was standing behind my wife and as the conversation went on and on and on and on, I knew I had to have some fun.  My wife explained that Odin was my first pet and how much I enjoyed playing with him.  Out of sight from my wife, I smiled and shook my head no several times and the woman laughed.  When my wife turned of course I was not shaking my head.  I did this a couple more times which helped me really enjoy the conversation.

One hour later, we headed back to the hotel.  A couple blocks from the hotel, outside a cafe, was a man sitting at a table.  His wife was standing near the table holding a cute dog.  Once again, "Dog preaching" was about to begin. The woman was a breeder and the dog was for sale.  My wife said that we were thinking of getting another dog and I stood behind her grinning and shaking my head no.  My wife asked a lot of questions and took her phone number and at some point the "Dog preaching" was over and we were on our way.

Below is a picture of the dog that cost "only $5,000." It's a special breed. If you are interested in buying the dog it may still be for sale and we could probably get a commission on the sale. However, as we walked away there was another woman who started to talk to the breeder. I wonder, did the breeder just happen to be there, or was she really "Dog preaching" and selling?




No comments:

Post a Comment