Thursday, May 18, 2023

How Old Is Really Old?

 One of the things I love reading about is politics and there's been a lot written already about President Biden's age, 80, and former President Trump's age, 76.  We will be reading a lot more about whether they are too old to be in one of the most difficult and important jobs, leading our country.

However, I want to talk about two other men who I read about recently, Johnnie Bell of Oklahoma City who is 93 years old and 109 year-old Victor Dransfield who lives in Little Falls, New Jersey.

 Johnnie Bell is the longest working United States Postal worker.  He has worked for them for 70 years. (I worked full-time for only 38 years) He still sorts and delivers mail in Oklahoma City as he has for seven decades.  He said, "This is just something I do, because I enjoy it." One co-worker said, "If there were more Johnnie Bell's around, then the Post Office would be a better place.  The world would be a better place because of who he is." Sometimes you can just look at someone's face and know that the person is someone special and his picture below says exactly that.  Congratulations Johnnie.



But 93 is really a young age to someone who is 109 years old. This guy, Victor Dransfield, is healthy and doesn't get the aches and pains that people half his age get. He said, "I've been very, very, very, lucky in my lifetime, I feel perfect. He spent 80 years as a member of the local fire department.  He worked for 60 years mostly as an auto parts manager.

When asked, "What brought you happiness and kept you going in life?" He said, "The fire department, I met so many friends. His wife of 54 years passed away 31 years ago. His granddaughter said, "He always had such a positive upbeat attitude, even when my grandmother passed away.  He lived for her, but he was determined to keep on living."

He drives his car every day, goes shopping, and is still living independently. He said, "I keep positive. I never think any other way when something's wrong." 


Are you really too old to do something you want to do? 


No comments:

Post a Comment