Wednesday, March 14, 2018

My Favorite Day of The Year

I've never read a poll on what people say is their favorite day of the year, but I'd probably guess that Christmas, Thanksgiving and their birthday are probably in the top five answers.  I can guarantee you that no one else would choose my favorite day- the yearly book fair near Flemington, NJ.

Why a book fair? I've always loved to read.  When I was a kid I used to go into bookstores and walk down the aisles and pick out what books I would want to buy.  I used to think, wouldn't it be great if one day I could go into a store with $100 and buy 10-12 books?(of course that would only buy you 4 or 5 today)

I've been going to this book fair for I think 15 of the last 16 years and I always looking forward to that April weekend. The book fair literally has more than ten thousand books that you can buy for as little as $.50 to a $1.00 or $2.00.  I've been going and buying 25-40 books and I read them throughout the year and it cost me less than $50.  It's even better than I used to dream about as a kid!

The last weekend in April is the week we may close on our house and unfortunately it is also the weekend of the book fair.  Since I can't be in NJ for the book fair I decided to go to a book fair a library was having here near Myrtle Beach.  I knew it would be small, but I was hoping I could find 5-10 books I'd want to read.

The selection was much, much smaller, but somehow I found 21 books and the total cost came to .....
$12.50!  When I walked out of the library I felt like I was stealing from them.  I can't say today was my favorite day of the year, maybe this year it will be Father's Day since I'll be with my Dad.(I admit I said that because I know he's reading this and I just said that because I know he'll laugh)

However, if you've never been to THE BOOK FAIR, look up "Friends of Hunterdon Library Book Fair."  I donated over five hundred books back to them last year-they may still be selling some of them this year.  It doesn't have to be your favorite day.  But, if you like to read, it will be a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Since you posted this on 3/14, I thought you were going to say Pi Day was your favorite day! I'm trying to get back into reading books; do you have any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this is delayed, but you were out of the country and I just read your question. I'm sure Marisa has told you that I read a lot and I could recommend many books, but it depends what you're looking for. Most of my library will be shipped in our pod in a month or so and if I see you after that time I can lend you a few. However, if you give me an idea of what you're looking for I can suggest a couple books I'm sure. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete