Monday, January 28, 2019

Famous "Baloney"(Balogna) Sandwiches

There are certain words that I don't believe should be put together.  Some people will say that "cold and  hot dog" are three words that are ridiculous together, however, hot dogs are really good cold.  I want to nominate "famous baloney sandwiches", as three words that should never be put together and I'm going to tell you why.

Some people say "baloney" and some people say "balogna". The term "baloney" is slang for balogna and originated with the former Governor of New York, Al Smith.  He used to call the federal bureaucracy, "baloney" back in the 1930's. (you could say that, "some things never change" which ARE four words that fit well together)

I was listening to the radio in the car one day while I was working and I heard an ad for a lunch place and they said, "stop in and have one of our famous baloney sandwiches".  I eat a lot of baloney sandwiches.  I don't eat them every day like some people might have a turkey or a cheese sandwich, but I do eat several each week. They are pretty good, but how good does a baloney sandwich have to be for it to be called, "famous"?  And, what could possibly be on that baloney sandwich to make it famous?  Are there other baloney sandwiches that are famous and we just don't know about them?

I'm sure you've seen an ad on television or heard one on the radio that you just had to laugh at, because it was so ridiculous.  This is one thing that is not different in the north, south, or east or west in our country.  Advertising can be misleading or just absurd and the ad I heard is probably both.

When you come and visit us in Myrtle Beach, I know you're going to want to see all the sites: the beach, Broadway at the Beach, The Marshwalk, the great restaurants, and many other things that make Myrtle Beach special. I also know you are not going to want to have "a famous baloney sandwich", or do you?

1 comment:

  1. I think a comprehensive review of this "famous" bologna sandwich is worthy of another blog post.

    ReplyDelete