Tuesday, January 1, 2019

My Favorite Riders of the Month

I was going to skip this regular monthly feature of my blog. (that sounds much too formal for me)  However, after the past two weeks I could not resist telling you about some more unique stories, some which will make you grin, chuckle, or LOL(laugh out loud for those of you over 90)

THE COUPLE WHO REALLY NEEDED SOME SUNSHINE

The sun had been fighting to get through the clouds when I picked up a young couple at a gas station for a short ride to the hotel where they were living.  When I asked them how they were doing, the man said, "you wouldn't believe me if I told you."  Of course, I encouraged him to share and he did, but only a little bit.  They were out the night before having a good time and allowed a friend to take them home.  He said that it was the last time he would do that, since they had spent the night at the police station which was only two blocks away.  They had a string of bad luck that week including their car breaking down and they were obviously a little down.

I told them they were lucky I picked them up since my business name is "The Sunshine Man" and I was going to give them some sunshine.  I told them a few of my funny rider stories and got them laughing and I gave them a little motivational talk and encouraged them to have a positive attitude.  The man said, "I've heard a good attitude and a smile will get you somewhere."  I quickly added, "like to Ocean Boulevard". (where they were living)  That comment really broke them up.  As I pulled up to their hotel, the sun broke through the clouds and I gave him my card and said, "if you need a ride sometime or just someone to cheer you up, give me a call."  The guy walked around the car, shook my hand and thanked me.  Who said I'm just driving people around?

THE REPORTER

I picked her up one night and could tell she was somewhat conflicted.  She worked as a reporter for the local paper and after two years, today was her last day.  She was on her way to meet some friends or co-workers to go out one last time here, before she headed home to Pittsburgh, PA. the next day to start her new job.  She was going to be a reporter for the local paper there and would have the opportunity to cover her hometown among other areas.  I spent most of the ride "interviewing" her which had to be amusing to her as well as it was to me.  She was very personable, bright, and articulate and if I wasn't driving I would have taken some notes.  She was going to be doing news and feature stories so I asked her which one she liked more.  To paraphrase what she said, " I know it's odd, but I prefer news stories, because I get meet people at some of their most trying times and I have to get them to trust me."

I told her about this blog and she liked the title of it.  I also told her that I write about my favorite riders, so it is possible that she looks this up to see if I wrote about her.  If she's reading this, this message is for you-you're going to do very well in your new job.  You make a great first impression, just keep your passion and enthusiasm and do your very best.  I wish you all the success you're willing to work for and believe in.

THE MAN WITH THE GREAT LIFE

Without a doubt this was one of the most memorable rides I've given and it started very oddly. When I got the call for the ride on the app, I also got a message from an outside company explaining who I was picking up at the hospital.  The man would have a walker and might have difficult getting in my vehicle.  He was hard of hearing and might not understand everything I said.  They said that if I didn't want to pick him up that I would be paid for the ride anyway.

I love a challenge and I was prepared for a difficult ride, instead it truly was unforgettable.  The man had no walker and easily got into my van.  He had no problem communicating or hearing what I said. He was mesmerizing to listen to and I had difficulty driving when he told me he just found out his wife had lung cancer and was going to undergo radiation.  She was already fighting skin cancer and another form of cancer that I cannot recall.

He was in a good mood and kept talking.  He had been in the Army years ago and quit drinking cold turkey when he was told it was killing him and he didn't have long to live.  More than thirty years ago he was in a terrible motorcycle accident that almost killed him.  He had brain surgery and they put a plug or cork or something in his head. He still has not recovered some of his memory.  IT TOOK HIM 30 YEARS TO BE ABLE TO PHYSICALLY WORK AGAIN.  He works part-time at the Publix Supermarket doing cleaning in the evening, a job that he loves and was going to do that night.  He said, "I've had a great life."

He asked me if I liked  driving for Lyft and I told him that I did and that I write a blog where I write about my favorite drivers.  He started laughing and told me about his driver the night before.  The guy was a writer and had written a book about his favorite riders.  He couldn't get over the fact that on back to back nights he had drivers who wrote about their riders.

After I dropped him off I was exhausted from the experience and the wide range of emotions that he put me through.  It really makes you wonder what a wonderful life we have when you meet someone like him who has had such a "great life.".

MY PERSONALITY COMES THROUGH IN SPANISH

I picked up this older couple at a hotel. When the guy had trouble closing the sliding door, another man they had been standing with, came over and closed it and said something in Spanish.  I picked up on the Spanish (which I know only a few words) and I said, "gracias."  The man in my car laughed and said the same.  My app said they were going to the airport so I confirmed with them they were going to the airport.  The man said, "Si, airport, Orlando, Disney World."  I hadn't picked up on the fact that they spoke almost no English.

I told them that Disney World was one of my favorite places and asked, "can I come with you."  The wife pushed her phone or a translator towards me and I repeated my joke.  A few seconds later I heard some Spanish which I realized was what I said, and together they both yelled out, "yes."  It actually scared me when they yelled out, but I laughed.  It was a short ride and I didn't attempt any more conversation.  As they were getting out I said, "have a good trip, Happy New Year."  The wife pushed the device in front of me and I repeated it again and had to do it a third time.  She got the message and said, "Happy New Year."  I think they gave me a $5 tip so I could save some money to go to Disney World.

THE ANCHORWOMAN AND THE DOG

It does have the potential for a Disney script and it was unusual from the beginning.  I picked up this woman who was going to California with two suitcases and a little white poodle in a basket.  (which made me think of Dorothy's dog in "The Wizard of Oz")   I didn't find out immediately, but the woman is the anchorwoman for the local television station and she is very well known in the area.  I didn't tell her that I didn't know who she was, because I don't watch the news or have a television.  I would have loved to "interview" the woman about her job, but it's all her dog's fault.

I did start asking her about her dog since my wife wants to get one.  I think she said it was a "Papillon Puppy," although I could be mixing it up with the old movie, "Papillon."  She told me that the dog is her best friend and she takes her everywhere.  She said she has even taken her to a bar and sat out on a back deck with her, just the two of them.  And, they have done commercials together on her television station!

I have to admit the dog was cute and fortunately she didn't make a sound.  The woman explained to me that the dog is very smart and she's taught her many things, including how to wave.  As I glanced into my mirror I heard her saying to the dog, "wave, wave."  The dog started waving at me.  I never thought I would have a waving dog in my back seat.

As the ride ended, I told her I had to get a picture of her dog for my wife which I did.  I rushed taking the picture on the sidewalk, which came out fine, except for my finger in the picture.  The dog was not waving, she only waved in my backseat.


No comments:

Post a Comment