Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Mr, Jeffrey and Ms. Monika

There are a number of things like the weather that have been pretty easy getting used to down here in "The South."  However, being called "Mr. Jeffrey" is not one of them.  Up in New Jersey, I would regularly hear someone call me "Mr. Hoenig" and I would immediately think about my Dad and never really considered myself to be "Mr. Hoenig", although I clearly am that person.

But, here in "The South" kids are taught at a very early age to be very respectful and the "Mr." and "Miss" are two things that are carried on throughout their life.  Of course, not everyone picks up that habit, but it is extremely common.  Sometimes I hear a "Mr. Jeff", but that doesn't make it sound any more comfortable to me.

It's certainly not a bad thing, because it does show respect, but it's going to take quite awhile to get used to.  Our neighbor across the street kept referring to "Mr. Jeffrey" and "Ms. Monika" the other night to her eighteen month old daughter and I recently had several college students who I was driving that kept calling me "mister."  I did have the urge to tell them, "just call me Jeff," but I didn't say anything.

I'm sure there are other places in the country, (maybe the mid-west) where this is common, but I think in "The South" it's the most common.  Will I ever speak to someone with a "Mr." or "Ms." in front of their first name? Probably not, but if it ever does happen, y'all be the first to know. (I haven't used the y'all yet either, but that's more of a possibility I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment