Thursday, January 31, 2019

My Riders: Occupations and Memorable Comments

It's a new year and another month has gone by. It's time to review some of the fun conversations I've had in my car this month.  I've decided to change things up some and briefly tell you about some of my riders jobs and some of the funny/unusual things that were said in my car this month:

"MAY YOUR DAY BE EVER PAINFUL" After a fun conversation with a server in his 20's, as he left my car he said the above line.  I said, "what?" He repeated it again and on the third time I worked my way through the southern accent and heard him say, "may your day be ever pingful."  I know that "pingfull" isn't a word, but he was wishing me to get a lot of rides.  When we get a ride the app goes ping so it was his friendly way of saying goodbye.

"THE WEATHER HERE IS BI-POLAR"  The woman, who works the front desk at a hotel, had the perfect way to describe the weather here in Myrtle Beach.  It is like Florida's weather, very unpredictable.  When she told me the weather was "bi-polar",  I told her that from time to time her ears would ring because I would be using her line.

"I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE HATE _ _ _ _  JEWS"  It was New Year's Eve, so it was almost January, but this ride was unforgettable.  I picked up a guy at dinner time who was going to a chinese restaurant only a couple miles away.  He was holding a guitar and was not drunk.  I asked him if he had any plans for New Year's Eve and he said, "I'm going to play some rock n' roll.  Do you know anywhere I can play."  It was tough to focus on what he was saying since he was rambling.  He asked where I was from and after I told him he asked if I was Jewish.  I said I was and that's when he said the above quote about Jews and then he said, "I love Jews."  He then told me this joke about Hitler: "the more I read about him, the less I like him."  He probably didn't like that I didn't laugh at that, because he rated me a 1 out of 5, which is as low as you can rate.  He seemed friendly, but I think he was just a little bit different.

"THE WATERMELON PEOPLE"  The convention in Charleston was for anyone involved in anything to do with watermelon.  There were people who grew it and sold it and my rider built containers that held watermelon.  They didn't mention watermelon eaters, but I'm sure there were a few of those too.

AMUSEMENT RIDE BUILDERS: The two guys from New York had just built a ride here in Myrtle Beach and were heading home.  The build rides all over the country.  The older guy told me the thing that bothers him most about New York is, "there's always someone in your way."

"I'VE CLIMBED 300 FEET HIGH"  My last ride of the night was a guy who said he was Russian and he lived in Chicago, but for the past year he has lived in Myrtle Beach.  He worked for AT&T as a POLE CLIMBER.  I asked him how high he's climbed and when he told me I said, "better you than me."

"I LIKE TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO DO" I asked a woman what she liked best about being the news director for the local television station and she made me laugh with her answer.  I think I made her laugh when I told her I didn't have a TV.

"I HIT THE JACKPOT"  Those were my words when I asked a couple what they did and the man replied that he was a Professor of Political Science at the University of Minnesota.  I told him I was a political junkie and although I try not to talk politics with my riders, I would have to make an exception for him.  Unfortunately, his ride was very short, but his wife did laugh when I was so thrilled to talk with her husband.

"THE HONEY BEE"  The Sheraton had a "bee" convention and I got to drive several "bee people" to the airport.  One woman, who was a vice-president of a company that sold honey, was very proud that she was known as "the honey bee."  Another rider, a BEE INSPECTOR, told me that he had thirty bee hives and wanted to add another twenty since they are worth $180 each. I said it wasn't a hobby I'd be interested in.  I learned all about the bee shortage and how they are sent out to California to pollinate the walnut trees so we can have walnuts.  It was more info on bees than I really wanted, but it was interesting.

"I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK" He was a CONSTRUCTION MANGER, supervising projects around the country.  He was very humble and grateful for his success and told me a lot of personal stuff and answered many of my questions.  Several times he said he liked the way I thought, but the truth was that he did most of the talking and I liked the way he thought.

"YOU'RE KILLING MY VIBE"  I picked this guy up around 6:30 am Sunday morning on Ocean Boulevard.  He was in his twenties and told me he had only had one hour of sleep that night.  I'm not sure what he was doing, but he told me he was going to a "hook-up." (for the ninety and above crowd that means he was meeting someone and they weren't going to watch TV)  He is a salesman for a major hotel chain and told me he was 6th in his office.  Since we were joking around I replied, "there aren't just ten of you, are there?" That's when I was accused of "killing his vibe," which made me laugh more when he said it.  I may have laughed more on this ride than any other I've had. As I dropped him off for his "hook-up" he said TO ME, "MAKE GOOD CHOICES."  If he had turned around as he walked away, he would have seen me leaning over the steering wheel laughing.

"MY WIFE IS USED TO HANDLING A WHOPPER"  I picked up a couple from Texas and immediately saw that their destination was literally around the corner.  In the couple minutes though, they made sure I would never forget them.  When you get in the back of my van you have to close the door by grabbing the door handle which is a little behind you.  For some reason it really takes two hands to do it and only once in awhile does someone do it with one hand.  The wife went to close the door and I told her she would need two hands, but somehow she did it with one hand.  I said, "wow, you must be pretty strong."  The husband, who had know me for all of thirty seconds, left me speechless with his "whopper" of a quote.  I thought of telling him some stories of when I worked at Burger King(which is famous for the whopper}, however, it unfortunately was a very short ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment