Tuesday, August 20, 2019

When You Can't Answer A Question

Every once in a while someone asks me a question and I am speechless, perplexed, and unable to give any kind of answer. When you have small children around I think this happens more often. For instance, if your young daughter looks at her baby brother on the changing table and says pointing, "why does that look like the letter "I", it's understandable that there is a long pause before you come up with an answer.

I don't know how often this happens to you, but it's happened to me twice in the last week or so. My Dad asked me last week, "who taught you how to send an e-mail?" Several things ran through my head, such as:

1. Why?
2. I remember who taught me how to tie my laces, it was you.
3. I remember the guy at work who said I should never be allowed to use e-mail.
4. Did someone teach me?
5. If someone taught me they probably would not admit to it.

After stammering a bit I gave a very intelligent answer, "I have no idea."  Then I said to my Dad, "why?" He said that he's gotten a lot of e-mails, but he's never seen anyone else put the whole message in the title.  I laughed and admitted that I do that some of the time.

If my Dad wants me to send him an e-mail when I return home from visiting him, I'll put in the title, "Arrived Safely".  Why bother to put a title that says, "Trip" and then a message that says, "arrived safely?" It's faster and it makes more sense to me.  If I have to tell a driver that the magazines are in the warehouse, the title of my e-mail is, "mags in now."  It's short and simple, right?

One of my daughters or both of them, had the same complaint some time ago. Every now and then, I send them a message and purposely only write in the title space.  However, here's a better question I'm sending to all of you, "why would it bother you?" Take your time, there's no hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment