Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Doing Something I've Never Done

How often do you do something new,  something that you've never done?  It's probably not too often, but the other day I did.  There are a lot of things we haven't done, some may be simple or common and others may be pretty rare or unusual.

The new Star Wars movie came out and my wife did not want to see it.  I had mentioned it to a couple people, but didn't find the right person, so I went to see the movie myself.  This is not an uncommon thing for a lot of people, but it was very different for me.  I've probably been to a hundred movies with my wife. I've been to movies with my kids, my brother, friends and when I was little, my sister too.  But, last Friday was different-it was just me and people I did not know.

This is how it went: I arrived in plenty of time and went to pay for my ticket.  Most of the time my wife buys the ticket, but I have paid for movie tickets so nothing unusual there.  As I approached the refreshment stand I looked and then looked away.  I could go a couple hours without eating or drinking, but probably not more than three hours.

Entering the theater I got to choose where to sit.  Could I sit in a place I wouldn't normally sit? Nah, I went to the back row and sat down almost in the middle of the row.  The back row was almost completely empty so it was quiet, too quiet.  I had no one to chat with and rate the previews.  During the movie, I didn't ask or answer any questions.  No one got up in front of me and no one nudged me when my eyes closed.  The movie ended and I walked down the steps without discussing the movie with anyone.

The movie was terrific, but I missed being able to share it with someone, especially my wife.  Would I do it again? I guess so, but it just wasn't as much fun as it could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment