Friday, December 6, 2019

Everyone Loves Ramen?

I couldn't resist writing that title which of course is a parody to the name of the classic television show, "Everyone Loves Raymond."  The real title of this blog is- "Something I Didn't Know-Ramen."  As my wife and children will gladly tell you, there a lot of things I just do not know.  I'm not talking about something like-how to build an igloo, but instead, things that a lot of people somehow know and I have no clue about. (of course this would include just about everything involving a computer or cellphone)

That is where Ramen comes in.  I had to write about this since one of my daughter's said, "don't blog about this."  I knew at that moment, I had to write this.  I may make this a monthly blog on something I did not know and just heard about.

At a restaurant the day after Thanksgiving we were talking about food and someone mentioned Ramen.  I really thought it was spelled Raymond or Ramon, or even Ramin.  It's probably not capitalized either, but I had no idea what it was.  We looked it up on the phone and it's some kind of noodles.  According to Wikipedia, a very reliable source, this is the definition of what it is:
Ramen (/ˈrɑːmən/) (拉麺, ラーメン rāmenIPA: [ɾaꜜːmeɴ]) is a Japanese dish with a translation of "pulled noodles". It consists of Chinese wheat noodles served in a meat or (occasionally) fish-based broth, often flavored with soy sauce or miso, and uses toppings such as sliced pork (叉焼 chāshū), nori (dried seaweed), menma, and scallions. Nearly every region in Japan has its own variation.

I can't believe this is common and everyone knows about it.  We literally left the restaurant and less than a mile away we saw a restaurant with Ramen in the name.  Are there a lot of these? I have no idea, but one of these days I'm going to have to eat Ramen.  I like noodles, why not Ramen?  And in the above definition of Ramen, it mentions "nori" as being dried seaweed.  I think I know why I had never heard about that, but noodles that are called Ramen? I learned something, how about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment