Monday, December 16, 2019

MALL WALKING THIRTY YEARS AGO TONIGHT

There are some things you don't forget, however, most people can easily forget walking in a mall. But, thirty years ago, was really unforgettable.  We were going to be first time parents and my wife was ready.  The advice we had always heard was to go to a  mall and just walk a lot when she was close.  I don't know what that does or how it works.  Could it be that the baby sees how much fun walking in the mall is and wants to join you?

After a lengthy walk we headed home to go to bed.  That next morning was a Sunday and it was the day.  It was a little nerve racking getting to the hospital, but we made it.  They put me in a room and told me to put on some scrubs or gown- it was something I had to cover myself with.  And, then I waited and waited which seemed like an eternity.

Finally, they brought me in and my wife was lying there and they said, "she's just about ready."  I almost missed the birth, not that I really saw it.  I was more concerned about my wife so I was talking to her and watching her.  I was confident the doctor could take care of the baby.  This of course is the one time in my life that focusing on my wife is not the best course of action.  She wanted me to watch the birth.

And then, just like that in the nine o'clock hour, we had a baby girl.  My wife was holding her with a big grin on her face and of course I wanted to get a picture of my two favorite girls.  Using all of my technical skills, I had the camera and said to my wife,"how does this work?"  She set it up for me and I took the picture. (selfies weren't invented yet, otherwise she would have done it)

Our daughter turns 30 tomorrow on December 17th.  Happy Birthday Tess!  I'd use her real name, but she always tells me I shouldn't use real names, so I'll call her Tess today.  She has been a joy in our life since the morning after we did some serious mall walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment