Monday, March 16, 2020

"Not My Circus, Not My Indian"

Obviously, these words are not mine.  However, they are southern.  One very nice woman who I deliver boxes and supplies to, is teaching me "how to be a southerner."  She said she would only charge me $100 an hour and I told her I would go for the "dribs and drabs" method. (not sure if I just made that up or there is such a thing)

What does that phrase, "not my circus, not my Indian" mean?  Basically, it means that you don't want anything to do with whatever is going on-I'm not involved.  It's a pretty unique way of saying that and it is amusing.

Today, when I delivered to her, she was on the phone with a patient.  She told her patient that the delivery guy was here and, "we're buddies."  We do seem to laugh a lot when I deliver and I fondly call her, "my favorite Morris."  Not that her name is really Morris, but let's say it starts with a "M".  The phrase reminds me of the old television show, "My Favorite Martian."  I think she likes that greeting.

Since she was on the phone I couldn't ask her for another "southern phrase," but I will next time.  I think I'll start teaching her "northern phrases."  I have to come up with a good one before I see her again.  I use the phrase, "it's not my first rodeo," but that can't be a northern phrase, probably a "western phrase."

Just wanted y'all to know I'm still working on, "becoming a Southerner."

No comments:

Post a Comment