Saturday, June 6, 2020

Haagen-Dazs is 60 Years Old Too This Year!

The other day I learned something very trivial but meaningful to me. Haagen-Dazs is celebrating their 60th birthday this year too.  When I looked it up there were a number of places that said it was created in 1961 and not 1960, but according to their "new" special birthday design on their container of coffee ice cream, this is their 60th birthday. I don't want you to think that an empty pint container of 14 flavor ounces with NO GMO ingredients is displayed on my desk in front of me, I just memorized that information.

In case you don't know, Haagen-Dazs makes some amazing ice cream and their coffee ice cream is definitely my favorite.  Where did it come from and how did it get that odd name? Glad you asked, that's why I'm here. It was invented by a couple, Reuben and Rose Mattus, a Polish Jewish couple living in Bronx, New York. (home of The New York Yankees) Reuben created the name as a tribute for Denmark's treatment of Danish Jews during World War 11!  They apparently sat around the kitchen table brainstorming any name that sounded Danish until they came up with the name, that really means nothing.

The original flavors were chocolate, vanilla, and coffee and it is considered to be a "super premium brand."  I'm always amazed at people who drink coffee, but don't like coffee ice cream.  And yet, I love coffee ice cream and don't drink coffee. I have recommended Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream to many people and I think I should be getting a discount every time I buy a pint. If you have never tried their coffee ice cream, there's no better time than right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment