Saturday, October 17, 2020

Happy Sweetest Day??????

 The saying is that you "learn something new every day."  I'm not sure how accurate that is, but there are some days you do learn something new and today may be that day for you.  I know it was for me, because I learned about another holiday I had never heard of- "Sweetest Day."  I picked up a rider from the mid west and she was trying to make today a special day for her boyfriend, because "Sweetest Day" is like Valentine's Day for men!

You probably think I'm making this up, but you check it out. It is a holiday that is celebrated mainly in the mid-west and some parts of the northeast and northern Florida. It started in 1922, almost 100 years ago.  In Cleveland, Ohio a candy company employee, Herbert Birch Kingston, wanted to bring happiness to people in society who were forgotten, orphans and shut-ins. With the help of friends he gave out candy and some gifts.

How did it become mainly for men? I have no idea.  In some cities they sell more "sweetest" cards for the third Saturday in October than Valentine's Day.  How is that possible? I have no idea. The goal is to make the day special for the man in your life by giving something sweet or a gift or doing something kind.

Why can't it be "sweetest day" every day? I'm not asking that question, it must have been a rider today who asked it and I'm just passing it on to you.  Hope you males out there had a sweet day.



No comments:

Post a Comment