Wednesday, October 6, 2021

The Kellogg's Plants Are Closed!

 It seems like a cruel joke, but Kelloggs, the cereal company that makes my favorite cereal, Cocoa Krispies, is closed.  About 1,400 employees are on strike about a number of pay and benefit issues. Their plants are in Omaha, Nebraska, Battle Creek, Michigan, Lancaster, Pennsylvania and Memphis, Tennessee.

I have taken inventory and I have five full boxes of Cocoa Krispies left.  I don't think I can make it to Thanksgiving.  Does this mean there will be less than zero boxes in stores? Are there still shipments coming in? This can't even be blamed on the virus.  I'm waiting five and a half months for Ford to make my car, what if I can't get Cocoa Krispies for five months?

Here's some things you don't need to know about Cocoa Krispies: It appeared in the United States in 1958, which makes it 63 years old. It is two years older than I am and also Haagen-Dazs Coffee ice cream.  It is called Coco Pops in Europe. In our country, it was originally represented by a monkey named Jose and then Coco the Elephant and Snagglepuss (the cartoon character) and then Ogg the Caveman.

Some of the slogans used in the past were: "Keep your eyes open on the monkey you see, I'd always like a bowl of Cocoa Krispies," "With every bite so chocolatey, oh, everybody wants my Cocoa Krispies," and "Coco Pops is so chocolatey, it even makes the milk turn brown." (and if you use orange juice.....)

Did you know that Cocoa Krispies contains a good source of 8 vitamins and mineral and are low in fat? I didn't know that, maybe I should eat more of them when it's better times. I looked up a list of the top 100 cereals and Cocoa Krispies was only ranked 47.  In the top ten were Frosted Flakes, Cheerios, Corn Flakes, and Cap'n Crunch. Some of the cereals ranked in front of Cocoa Krispies were: Puffa Puffa Rice Cereal, Hidden Treasures Cereal, Waffelos Cereal, C-3PO's Cereal, and Nerds Cereal.  I did not make these names up.

So, if you're looking for Cocoa Krispies, I may have the largest collection and they are not for sale.  I guess I'll have to wait before I send them a letter asking for more to be delivered to the area.  I'm going to limit myself to only one bowl until the strike is settled.  Maybe I should check the store closest to me and grab whatever is left?




No comments:

Post a Comment