Sunday, June 12, 2022

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RETIREMENT STEVE

Yesterday in New Jersey, there was a big retirement party for my brother-in-law, Steve.  He just retired after 40 years of teaching in a public high school.  I wasn't able to make it to the party, but there was a lot of people, a live band, and of course some good food and beverages.

I have known Steve for about 45 years.  When I was 16/17 years old I was a camp counselor at Mirror Lake Beach Club in Edison, NJ and Steve was a lifeguard. One of my first memories of Steve was when the camp counselors would play the lifeguards in softball.  I came up to the plate and looked down the third base line and there he was. He had both knees wrapped up and I'm certain he was up close, as if he was expecting a bunt. If he knew how slow I was he would have moved back.  I always hit to the right side since the fielders on the left side were always better.

Steve looked intimidating that day, but he's really a great guy.  A few years later he married my sister and what could be better than having another big Yankee fan in the family? Steve has been a baseball and soccer coach forever and it's always been fun talking sports with him whenever I get to see him.  So, what do you get a big sports fan for a retirement gift? He has suffered many years as a New York Jet fan and although there have been a few good moments in his life as a Jet fan, there has been only one great moment.  Joe Namath led the Jets to a shocking 16-7 win on January 12, 1969 over the Baltimore Colts who were favored by 19 points.

I got him something he never would have gotten for himself, a New York Jet's Super Bowl ring pictured below.  Of course it's not real, but I believe on the back it says "Joe Namath" and the score of the game and I think it's a pretty cool thing to wear on any game day in the future.


I was either going to get him the ring or a fur coat like the one Joe Namath used to wear pictured below.  I think he's going to look better with the ring on.  Congratulations Steve!



No comments:

Post a Comment