Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Is It Too Early To Say The Hannukah Prayer?

I know it's a ridiculous question to ask, but I said the prayer today and I did it in public. What is to blame for this? It all goes back to the all-you-can-eat buffet in Las Vegas. (Or I could say it's my brother's fault since he invited me to Vegas and booked the buffet-just kidding)

I went to breakfast this morning with a friend, Neal, who is also an Uber driver.  I made the mistake of showing him the picture below when he was talking about ordering a bagel with lox and cream cheese.


Neal is Jewish too and when he saw this picture, he had to have the bagel with lox and cream cheese. The waitress, in her twenties, explained that since it was busy they might not be able to do a special order, but he could order the platter.  It was too expensive for him, so he just got a bagel and cream cheese.  That's when our breakfast went a little strange.

Neal told the waitress we were both Jewish and she said, "Really?" I said, "We are, do you want to hear a prayer?" Keep in mind, we were sitting at a table and the place was very busy and noisy, so no one else could hear this conversation, fortunately.

The waitress, much to my surprise, said, "Yes," and she waited for me to say something.  The Hannukah prayer is the only one that came to mind, so I said it.  I said it quickly and I'm not sure Neal even realized what I was doing, but I did it.  She laughed and then Neal and I both laughed.

I remember the old "Crazy Eddie" commercials in New Jersey when I was younger. He would say, "It's Christmas in July," for some special sale. But, Hannukah in June? Fortunately, there were no candles around and we didn't have the urge to light one. I may be the only person to ever say that prayer in June!


No comments:

Post a Comment