Saturday, December 3, 2022

Do You Ever Mouth The Words to A Song Instead of Singing It?

Heading out of town with my wife and dog in the car I learned something very important. My wife was playing music and a song came on that I liked and I was "mouthing" the words instead of singing it. My wife told me that she doesn't like when I do that and she wanted to know why I did it.

We've been married for 39 years and whenever we're in the car, I almost never sing out loud.  I know I don't sing that well and by "mouthing" the words, she doesn't have to hear my singing.  I'm being considerate for her and it never occurred to me that she didn't like it. She doesn't sing that often, but she does sing out loud instead of "mouthing' it.

When I asked her what she didn't like, she said, "Your mouth or lips are making smacking noises." She thought it sounded like I ate a ham sandwich and I needed some soda to drink. (I know you've been there as I have) So, I asked her, you want me to actually sing the song? She said she really did.

I couldn't wait to test this out when we drove home. I figured I would let the idea sit awhile and then I'd  find out the truth. Sometimes, I prefer to "mouth" the words, because I don't know all the words and it sound better to ME when I can only hear the real singer.

On the way home, I was singing some songs as best I could and I knew that she knew I was doing it FOR her. We did talk about it some and she seemed to be perfectly fine with what I was doing.

I knew our conversation was about to end, but I just wanted to make sure I had the right information.  I asked her, "Is it okay if when I sing the words I kind of whisper them?" She said, "You can do whatever you want." And so, there you have it.  As Johnny Nash once sang in the 70's, "I Can See Clearly Now."



No comments:

Post a Comment