Thursday, December 15, 2022

The Sour Cream Question

For many of you reading this, you probably did not know there was a "Sour cream question." Sour cream is a very unusual food and you're going to know more about it after finishing this blog than you ever wanted or needed to know.  First up, the big question is: "Do people eat sour cream by itself?"

Why do I ask this question? Recently my brother and sister and I were discussing our dad on the phone. We lost him a year and a half ago and we have very fond memories of him and also a few unusual ones.  One thing he liked to eat as far back as we can remember is sour cream, by itself. We don't know how it started, buy my brother and I picked up the habit.  My dad used to eat sour cream for lunch and at times he would throw in some blueberries, which I can assure you taste great in sour cream. In the final years of his life he forgot that he liked blueberries in his sour cream.

My sister made a comment that my brother and I may be the only people who eat sour cream by itself and I had no clue that this was very unusual.  I eat cottage cheese by itself, why not sour cream? I think sour cream is best with strawberries in it, but I will also cut up bananas and even rip off some bread and eat it with sour cream. I only add one thing to sour cream, not several things. Below is a picture of rye bread(I made it a Jewish meal) and sour cream for lunch.  There's a bit too much bread in this, but the sour cream is there. If it wasn't it would be a bowl of bread and that would lead you to ask some other questions.

  
Before I get to the answer, there's a whole lot of info about sour cream.  Here's what I learned: Sour cream is good and bad for you. (Like most things including vegetables and peanut butter- yes, I made that up) In moderation, sour cream is fine and it "may" help with your skin, some kinds of sour cream "may" help with your gut,(Not working for me), "may" help build bone strength and "may" reduce the body's bad cholesterol. It is also higher in levels of Vitamin A and some other vitamins that are good for us. It is high in fat, but in moderation it is okay to eat and you don't have to worry about gaining weight.

What are some uses for sour cream? There are a lot and some of them will surprise you. The "normal" uses are: in dips, adding to nachos and to a baked potato and in some foods. But, did you know these uses? You can add it to biscuits and other baked goods, make deviled eggs with it, use it for better pasta and potato salad, in a soup, as a sandwich spread or in scrambled eggs. My stomach isn't responding well to some of those. One bartender uses it for a drink and another person said this:

"Adding full-fat sour cream (My secret ingredient!) to your regular coffee may sound strange to some of you, but you'll be surprised of how delicious (And creamy) your coffee will turn out. Once you try it, you'll not go back to your regular coffee soon." Below is just a picture of a bowl of sour cream so you know what it looks like.

And now the answer to the "Sour cream question," Do people eat sour cream by itself?" They do and my brother and I are not the only ones. Here are some of the comments I found:

"Of course, it's also plenty good all on its own—given the opportunity, I'll gladly sneak a few spoonfuls over the kitchen sink."

"Sour cream is delicious on its own with a spoon."(Me: a fork will not work well)

"I enjoy sour cream like I would enjoy a bowl of ice cream or soup." (Me: as good as ice cream?)

"It's amazing on its own."

"Is it odd that I buy tubs of sour cream and it throughout the week? (Me: tubs?)

"Eating sour cream plain is amazing!"

"Ok, time for everyone to hate me. So, yeah, I like to eat sour cream plain. The flavor of it just makes it taste good. The texture also makes it 10X better. In fact, as I'm writing this, I am currently eating sour cream."

"My daughter is eating sour cream for breakfast. I thought maybe she just mixed up the sour cream and yogurt containers, but after some discussion and taste tests, turns out she knew exactly what she was asking for. So now I'm sitting at the kitchen table with her watching her eat a bowl of sour cream."

So, if you're looking to try something different to eat, take a couple spoonfuls of sour cream and give it a taste. If you have some strawberries or blueberries, try it out. One last thing, there is another "Sour cream question".  Am I the only one eating fruit and bread in sour cream? I may be.




No comments:

Post a Comment