Tuesday, December 6, 2022

The Dog and Squirrel Show

I imagine it is pretty common for dogs to chase squirrels, but our dog, Odin, has not seen many squirrels in South Carolina.  However, that changed when he visited New Jersey Thanksgiving week and it happened immediately.  Our dog, Odin, smelled them and saw them.  How many were there? I have no idea, but I think there was a "Chief" squirrel. Below is a picture of the squirrel, running for dear life near the steps.  What you can't see is Odin pulling me. I was not able to do a selfie at the time. 


Odin is smelling the squirrel up the block at the squirrel's" home tree" in the picture below.  The first two days they played hide and seek with the squirrel winning. Do you know what it's like trying to get a picture of a squirrel in a tree, while your dog is pulling you with all it's strength? I can only imagine the people on the block watching out the window  in hysterics.  Below is the second picture of the squirrel's "hometree."I am absolutely convinced that the squirrel is in the tree. If you find it let me know.





After the first few names they each understood what was going on.  The squirrel would take off as if it was on fire when Odin was nearby.  Odin however, seemed to understand he was not fast enough and could not catch the squirrel. He got into the "scouting" mode and would cautiously watch the squirrel from a distance.  He may have been thinking, "If he doesn't see me and he comes this way....."

Me, well I was rooting for the squirrel and I think he won. Odin is now home where he occasionally chases birds. I'm thinking, "Maybe when Odin gets older I'll teach him about the birds and the squirrels.

No comments:

Post a Comment