Thursday, July 27, 2023

Driving on Rt. 70 in Kansas

One of the biggest surprises on our trip to Colorado last year was driving in Kansas.  It was 100 degrees and the amount of bugs on the front of the car and the windshield was unlike anything I've ever seen.  However, I loved it due to the following: the large wind turbines, the flat land, blue skies you could see forever, and the realization that really the only thing out there were hard working farmers.

I told a number of people who live out there or who have been on Rt. 70 and basically they thought I was nuts.  I found it very peaceful, relaxing, and beautiful.  Would I feel the same way on my second trip to Colorado? I was looking forward to finding out.



It didn't take long for me to have an answer.  There were clouds, but you could see forever.  It was early morning just after the sun came up and I think I had a pretzel rod in my mouth.  It was a very calm sight until I turned a corner and a I saw the wind turbines busy at work. It's a pretty good picture considering I was driving.




On the way home, Route 70 had something different for me. Everything seemed normal, it was early morning, my wife was sleeping and it was calm and peaceful and then...fog.  Without a doubt the most fog I've ever seen. I could see nothing in front of me unless I looked at the road and visibility was only about two car lengths.  For 15-20 minutes I drove without looking to the right or left and I kept hoping my wife would stay asleep. A few cars did pass me eventually, but this was not what I was looking for.


 

I would have loved to take a picture, but I wasn't going to move my hands.  The picture above is pretty accurate on what I was seeing.  If you haven't driven out there, it's something to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment