Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Eating BBQ in the Car

You should put this down on your bucket list, unless you've eaten barbecue in a car before. I did many years ago and I was driving.  It was messy, but delicious.  In Kansas City, Kansas on our trip, we made our second visit to Joe's Barbecue. In 1990, a guy named Jeff,(how about that) and Joy attended a barbecue contest and this is what Jeff said, "I loved everything about it.  The smoke. The smell of it.  The camaraderie. The competition. The passion. And of course, the food. I was hooked. I knew then and there this was something I had to do."

They won many contests cooking barbecue and then with a guy named Joe purchased the gas station/chicken place below and the rest is history.  They have a couple other locations in the Kansas City area and they ship out barbecue to the entire country. (Even South Carolina!)


When we arrived it was about 100 degrees and we could not sit outside and eat. We couldn't eat inside either with our dog, so we decided to eat barbecue in our car.  I have no idea  how much gas we used sitting in a shady spot, but that was the easy part.  Here I am below, eating a delicious rib with a lot of meat, while carefully trying not to mess up the car.  My wife took the picture, because I realized I could not hold the container and take a selfie at the same time. I am not that coordinated.


On the way home from Colorado, guess where we stopped for dinner? You got it, Joe's barbecue, the same location.  It was a little cooler and we sat in the shade and ate with our dog and had a great time.  We were on the road six days and we ate at Joe's twice. I wonder, Thanksgiving time, do they barbecue Turkey? 


No comments:

Post a Comment