Sunday, July 23, 2023

Going to the Movies in 2033

(Interrupting my Colorado vacation blogs, my wife and I traveled into the future in New Jersey this past weekend)

 I was looking for Michael J. Fox to walk down the hallway at the movie theatre. (Some of his movies were called "Back to the Future")  My wife and I had the chance to see the final "Indiana Jones" movie in a special place: Menlo Park Mall in Edison, New Jersey. It was 43 years ago that we met each other while working at the Burger King there.  The Burger King is no longer there, but we were there together this weekend.

We went to the AMC Dine-In Theatre and had no clue what we were about to see, other than Harrison Ford's last hurrah.  When we opened the door, we saw this bar below.


I was looking around thinking we walked into the wrong place, but this was the theatre.  On our right side was a register and one worker to get our tickets. Nothing really looked right and my wife asked if they still took cash and they did. The young girl then confused me when she asked, "Where would you like to sit?" I wanted to tell her, "Right here in the lobby", but we picked out two seats.  It was the first movie and I think there was only five of us in the theatre.

There was a small kiosk that looked like it used to give out popcorn, but there was no worker there.  You had to order your food and they delivered it to you and it wasn't Uber Eats or Doordash either. They serve all kinds of food there. The hallways were on the dark side and they were empty. The biggest surprise was opening the theatre door and seeing lounge chairs and a desk-type tray attached to each chair.


The chair was almost a lift chair.  It was comfortable, but it was huge. It was so big you could not put your arm around your spouse.  This is our popcorn watching the preview before the previews:



This is a picture of my legs watching the movie.


We did get one good picture, a selfie. My face does look like I swallowed all of the popcorn, but that did not happen.


It was a good movie, entertaining, but the most memorable thing may have been the movie theatre. It wasn't 2033, I can't imagine what going to the movies will be like ten years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment