Sunday, June 2, 2024

MY MOST MEMORABLE RIDERS IN MAY

INSTANT REPORE

As I drove to the Hilton to pick up a passenger, I was expecting a good ride and I was not disappointed. Sometimes, I immediately click with a passenger and in this case we were laughing as I pulled away from the hotel. They were from Minnesota and since it is my second favorite state to pick people up from, I knew immediately it was going to be fun.

I asked them how long they had been together and they said, "Sixteen years." When I asked how long they had been married, they said, "About the same amount of time." I joked, "Did you get married on the first date?" They waited three months before getting married, because, they knew almost immediately.  They were at a fundraiser for a church when they met and I could tell they are matched perfectly.

He is a manager at Amazon and we got to talk about distribution some and I told them a bunch of stories of my riders from Minnesota.  We laughed a lot and they were easily my best ride of the day and one of the most enjoyable rides this month.  


FINDING THE RIGHT GIRL CAN BE PAINFUL!

The couple from the Bronx had been dating for six months.  I asked them how they met and she said, "He chased me for five years."  He kind of denied that and said, "I was at the dentist about to get a needle and she was the head nurse. I told her I didn't feel comfortable and asked her if she would hold my hand.  She did and I had the dentist give me three extra needles so she would hold my hand longer. I would have taken twenty-five needles to have her with me for the rest of my life."  How can you not like a guy like that?


WHAT A COINCIDENCE!

It's not unusual to pick up a couple from New Jersey, but this ride was definitely meant to be.  He used to live in South River, NJ., which is pretty close to Edison where I grew up. He also lived in Madison, NJ., where I went to school at Fairleigh Dickinson University.  She graduated from Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison and majored in political science, one of my majors.  She works for a non-profit, as my oldest daughter does. She writes proposals for grants as my son does.  She loves to write as of course I do. He is an engineer by trade, as my son is.

I picked them up in Charleston and I was taking them to rent a car.  They were driving to Myrtle Beach to spend the next few days. Since that's where I live I was able to give them some brochures and tips. It was one coincidence after another and there were probably a few we didn't even get to.


"THE BOSTON SEAGULL"

One of my favorite states to pick people up from is Massachusetts mainly due to the incredible Red Sox and Patriot fans who have shared with me a lot of sports stories.  However, these three young women will be remembered because they were genuinely upset that they didn't have anything to give me for my car.

One woman said, "Can I give you a water bottle," and another said, "Would you like to hear my seagull impression?" I started laughing and asked if I could record it and it was good.  The three screams or screeches sounded like this: "EHHH, ehhh, EHHH!" We were laughing a lot and one of the woman said I should use caps on half of the screams and lower case ones on the others.

They had been on a boat tour of the area and when I got out of the car to say goodbye I noticed that the Boston Seagull's seat was wet. She simply said to me, "It's only water."  The Boston Seagull will always be remembered for the three screeches and the wet seat. 


"THE ARIZONA DOLPHIN CALLER"

The two women were best friends since they were five years old.  One said to me, "She didn't get the message when we were seven that I didn't like her." They had a great time in my car and had just started celebrating the weekend when I asked if they'd like to hear "The Boston Seagull." 

They were laughing after hearing it and one woman said, "I'm actually known as "The Dolphin Caller." On several occasions she has gone into the ocean and called dolphins and has had as many as fifty some dolphins surround her. She told me there is an "Original Dolphin Caller", but she is recognized as a "Dolphin Caller." Her call sounded like this, "EEE, EEE, EEE, EEE, EEE, EEE, EEE."  It was really good.  They gave me a very nice tip and the below picture of them on this vacation to post in my car.  The woman to the left is now known as "The Arizona Dolphin Caller."


                                                       


SHOULD SHE KEEP HER JOB?

The high school senior was on her second day of work at a prestigious hotel, but she was having a lot of doubts about the job.  After a fifteen minute conversation, this is what I found out: 

 1. The job as an assistant server, paid better and was less work than her other job and it looked better on a resume. 

2.She was the youngest person working there which I told her was a good thing.                                

 3. She didn't look like everyone else so she was uncomfortable.                                                              

 4. She was dealing with some wealthy people who were "snobbish" and I told her that it would be a good experience for her.                                                                                                                            

 5. She met a famous author and then the Senator of  South Carolina, Tim Scott, with his mom.  He complimented her on the job she was doing and on her hair.  I told her that he might be the next Vice-President of The United States.                                                                                                                  

6. She had a great experience during orientation meeting two Russian guys who were very nice.  She was surprised because she thought the Russian people didn't like Americans. I told her she learned an important lesson.                                                                                

7. Lastly, everyone in her family thought she should keep the job.

I wrote her a note for her family that said, "I agree with all of you-she should keep the job. The Uber Driver"  I think I had a good influence on her and she'll keep the job.


JUST A LITTLE COSMETICS COMPANY?

She told me she was retired, but for about ten minutes she told me about her career and she enjoyed every minute of it.  From  a southern state, (Louisiana or Alabama?) she told me, "I had a little cosmetics company." She owned a franchise in a small area, but she did $200,000 in sales a year which baffled her company.  I asked her what the secret of her sales success was and she said simply, "Love what you do and the money will come." She quoted a well known saying, "If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.  For 23 years she adored her customers and set all kinds of sales records.  Her only regret was that she didn't start earlier.  She still loves what she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment