Sunday, April 22, 2018

Numbers

I like numbers, I always have.  I consider myself a "number's guy."  I can add and multiply numbers faster than probably anyone you know.  Unfortunately, I can't do a lot of productive things with this unusual talent.  However, when I see numbers I always ask myself, does this sound right? What does it really mean? Are there any other possibilities to explain this number?

You see most people don't like numbers and numbers really aren't their thing.  Frequently people will see a number and trust that number that it's accurate and move on from there.  I was reading a column today in the local newspaper that was titled, "We're all too angry to get anything truly productive done."  The editorial writer made some good points in the column, but the basis of the column was, the average American now spends an incredible 12 hours a day viewing or listening to media, according to one survey, " and people are angrier because of this.

He didn't say what kind of survey or how many people were surveyed, or who these people were.  He was referring to social media which included, "television, movies, Facebook, podcasts, video games and even books."  I don't know how reading books is considered media, but let's play along with this.  If an adult who is working gets seven hours of sleep and they work 8 hours a day, that would leave only 9 hours in a 24-hour day they could be involved with media.  I guess they can be on social media part of their work day, but the numbers don't add up and it's not really close.

Do you spend 12 hours a day "viewing or listening to media?"  Of course not, but some people read this column like I did  and didn't think twice about it.  Next time you see or hear about a statistic, ask yourself, "does this sound right? What does it really mean? Are there any other possibilities to explain this number?" 

You may find that 50% of the time the number is not right.  Or it could be 20% or 40% or 60%.  I can guarantee you that some of the numbers you see are not really what you think you're seeing.





No comments:

Post a Comment