Saturday, April 14, 2018

"Your Television Will Be Back With You In A Minute"

When these words appeared on my television screen my first thought was, "where is my television right at this minute and how does it know to get back to me?"

Technology is wonderful, but let's face it-sometimes it is confusing or befuddling to say the least.  For instance, if you're trying to learn how to use a new iPhone that is already outdated and the name of it is "honor", that is already confusing.  I've heard of a lot of phones, but "honor?"

A couple weeks ago our cable in our condo was upgraded.  We got a few more stations, a new box, and it looks like a clearer picture.  What I didn't know was that we also got a new remote.(our family name for remote is "clicker")  I sat down one night to watch the only show I'm watching each week, "Gotham", and I picked up the remote to check out the new cable. That, was my first mistake.

It took twenty minutes for Monika to fix the mess I made because you have to use the old remote to turn on the television and adjust the volume and the new remote to also turn on the television and change the channels.  I think I have this right and now you know why I was confused.

But this week was different.  I used both remotes to turn on the television, but I got no channels.  As the first few minutes of "Gotham" went on without me, suddenly on the screen appeared the unusual words, "Your Television Will Be Back With You In A Minute."  Also on the screen was the number 10, which I was hoping was ten seconds, but it was not.  The number changed to 9 and then 8 and soon skipped to 6. Eventually, my television got to one and the channel appeared and I watched my show.

Why can't we go back to just manually pushing a button on the television and turning the dial and the volume, is that too much to ask? If we can do that, how about just rolling up and down our car windows.  I know you won't admit it, but you miss those things too.... sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment