Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Untimely Death of a Cell Phone

Isn't the death of any cell phone untimely? Probably not, but for some people a cell phone dying would actually feel like a death.  Wasn't it a British poet, John Dunne, who said something like, "when a person dies, a part of each of us dies too?  So, I understand if you feel some remorse about this sad story.

I had a flip phone for many years and finally after everyone in my family urged me over and over that I had to get an iPhone, I gave in and got a hand me up iPhone 5C in February.  I actually thought it was an M5, but I probably confused that with James Bond's title.

I was jinxed this week when my mother-in-law commented that I'm "enjoying" my cell phone and my Dad said that I was "really good" with it.(or something like that) I'm not sure either of those comments are accurate, but I was texting more and taking some pictures.

This morning I was delivering to an accounting firm and I had to carry six boxes of paper weighing fifty pounds each up two flights of stairs and down the hall.  The firm has the name "Sapp" in it and I certainly can relate to feeling like one as I went up and down the stairs.

The last box had one plastic strap missing, so I crouched down and slipped my hands under the box and attempted to get up.  One hand slipped out, the box fell to the ground, I fell on my ass and the worst part was that my iPhone flew up in the air.

Let's face it, if an iPhone is airborne there is not a 50-50 chance it will fall face down.  It has to be about 80% and my unprotected phone hit the ground-face down.  The screen is cracked in many places, but the phone still works, so it really is not "dead"-yet.

I figure I can still use it.  It's sort of like when your making a sandwich and the last piece of bread has some mold around the crust.  I just take off the bad part and make the sandwich.  My iPhone 5C has lasted about seven weeks.  I think it has at least another seven weeks in it before I look for another hand me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment