Monday, October 8, 2018

I'm Just Like SpongeBob!

I know how ridiculous that title sounds, but give me a couple minutes to explain:


EXPLANATION FOR THOSE READERS OVER 90 YEARS OLD: Who is SpongeBob? His full name is SpongeBob Squarepants and he is a fictional character in an animated TV show of the same name that was created in 1999 by a marine biologist for Nickleodeon, a cable TV network. It has won many awards over the years for it's creativity and humor.  SpongeBob lives in an underwater city called Bikini Bottom.(you know this is fictional and almost twenty years old, because you could never have a city named Bikini Bottom today)


Many years ago when my oldest children were watching the show regularly, we would have dinners all the time where they would go back and forth talking about their favorite SpongeBob episodes.  I had never watched an entire show, but I saw bits and pieces and I thought it was at least mildly amusing.  However, the constant talk about someone who looks and is a sponge finally got to me.  I decided to write a song about SpongeBob, but I didn't know much about the show.  My son helped me write the song by giving me information on the characters and events.(he will always deny he had anything to do with it)  I wrote the song to the music of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and my first lines were, "One day, SpongeBob will leave us and I"ll cheer."

He's 19 years old now and he's still putting out new episodes which means for the rest of my life I'm going to hear about these episodes. According to Wikipedia(yes, I am quoting them kids), SpongeBob has "generated 13 billion dollars in merchandise revenue" over the years and recently had it's own Broadway show.

How am I like SpongeBob? We certainly don't look alike, since he's a sponge and I'm not. It occurred to me that here I am writing this blog since the end of December and years from now my kids will be sitting around when they get together and talk about me- "remember when Dad wrote about going into the ladies room or pouring orange juice into his cereal?" And another one will say, "how about that silly song he wrote for a job interview or when he compared himself to SpongeBob?" Then they'll probably talk about SpongeBob episodes, again.

This is only my 119th blog post and as of 2012 SpongeBob had 332 episodes and it's a lot more today.  I have a long way to go to catch up to him, but sooner or later, "SpongeBob will leave us and I"ll cheer."  That's when I'll really make my move.

No comments:

Post a Comment