Monday, October 22, 2018

My Retirement Job

I know that usually when the words "retirement" and "job" are in the same sentence it's about someone retiring from their job.  These days it's not that unusual for someone to retire and then get a part-time job.  I work with someone who retired from two jobs and has two pensions and now a part-time job.

I've always thought that when I retire I'll probably get some kind of route and deliver something.  However, one of my kids came up with the perfect retirement job for me-driving a bus at Disney World.  I would love that-it would be a lot of fun at the happiest place in the world.  Getting the kids on the bus excited about the day and consoling the parents in the evening after they made it through the day. I'd probably say something to the parents like, "you can do the same thing tomorrow that you did today!"

However, I may have found even a better job for me when I retire.  Recently I was driving four young guys around and one of them said something about shuffleboard.  I asked, "are you talking about shuffleboard in a bar or on a cruise? (there's table shuffleboard in a bar and there's shuffleboard on the ground)

He works at a resort in Myrtle Beach as the activities person and he referred to himself as a "shuffleboard referee."  He said he had to brush up on the shuffleboard rules and has to work hard to settle disputes between players.  I told him that my grandmother taught me how to play when I was a kid and we actually had shuffleboard in the backyard of the first house that I bought.  It was a lot of fun playing with my own equipment at my house.

I'm not ruling out Disney World, but being a shuffleboard referee in my retirement? What could be better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment