Monday, October 22, 2018

Keep Your Eyes On The-Ground

The old saying is that people should keep their eyes on the stars, especially young people.  It's good advice to have big goals and dreams, but you can also make the case for keeping your eyes on the ground.  From a practical standpoint you don't want to trip over, or fall into, or bump into something. 

I've written before that if you're looking you can find a lot on the ground.  In the last 14 months in New Jersey I found over $90 on the ground.  In South Carolina I've picked up some change, but I've spotted some pennies and had no problem walking away without picking it up.  But you never know what you can find on the ground.

A few weeks ago I was picking a rider up from the airport.  Waiting for him to come out I went to the back of my van to open the door and looked down.  One inch from my foot was a cellphone.  Somehow I managed to avoid crushing it with my car and I didn't step on it.

Using my technical knowledge I pressed every button to see if it was still working.  Suddenly, it went on and the message said that "your Uber driver will be here in 3 minutes."  I knew that wasn't me, it had to be the last driver and the phone had to be the last passenger.

I called the driver and left a message and heard from him ten minutes later.  He dropped the passenger back at the airport and I dropped my passenger off and went back to return the phone.  An older couple was sitting on the bench and they were thrilled to see me and the phone.  The husband was recovering from a stroke and needed his wife's assistance and in helping him she dropped her phone.

The couple was from New Jersey of course and I got an extra airport ride, a nice tip, and possibly some future rides with them.  Keep in mind that opportunity isn't just a goal way in front of you, you might actually be almost stepping on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment