Monday, October 29, 2018

More People In My Car

It's that time of the month again to write about my favorite Uber riders in October.  It was a very busy month despite the fact that we have definitely started to see that there are less people visiting us.

BEST COMEBACK BY A RIDER: It was the second time I drove these two young women who were probably between 25-30 years old.  Picking them up from their hotel to go to the airport, I helped them with their luggage.  One of them had a regular suitcase, but the other woman had a suitcase about twice the size and three times the weight.  After picking it up and putting it in the back of my van I said to her, "what's in that? Did you take some furniture from the room?" She smiled and said, "No, it's a body."  I didn't ask any more details, but it did make her friend and I laugh.

THE MOST UNUSUAL COMMENT: I picked up this couple in their twenties who were going to a wedding and they were all dressed up and looked like a very professional couple.  We were just talking about random things and the guy said to me, "I took her to her first strip club last night." My witty response was, "oh."  He continued and told me they were practically kicked out, because they were dancing too much with each other. He said, "they don't like when you do that."  I said, "I'll have to make a note of that."  Now that I noted it, I hope that info is helpful to you in the future.

THE POSITIVE GUY: I like to think I'm pretty positive, but my last ride last night gave me something to think about.  If you're having a rough past week, consider this:  I picked up "D"(not his real name), at his hotel.  The ride was set-up by a woman since he had only two quarters in his pocket.  He was at a wedding the night before and lost his wallet with everything in it including $300 in cash.  He knows he had it there, because he tipped the bartender and didn't have it when he left the wedding.  They have not found the wallet yet, but he wasn't worried.  He told me there was nothing he could do about it, so there was no reason to be upset.  He spent the day at the pool relaxing.  In the morning he has to put in a report to the police, otherwise he can't get on a plane to go home without showing the police report.  He told me, "if I have to spend another two days here, so be it. I love it here."  To top things off, in January he was in a motorcycle accident.  A car hit him and another car ran over his ankle. They told him he was going to lose his leg, but they were able to save it and he has a plate in it.  He somehow works in construction on Long Island and he got his positive attitude from his Dad, although none of his other brothers are positive like him.

THE WOMAN FROM ALASKA: She was in her mid twenties and she accepted a "temporary" job as a physical therapist in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Although her 7-10 month job is going to end soon they are trying to keep her from leaving.  She's been enjoying doing a lot of the outdoor things in Alaska and of course the scenery has been amazing.  She did have a tough time adjusting to the daylight hours which at one point is 22 hours in the day.  She told me that it was sundown and then it was sunrise and somehow the people who live there have adjusted to this.  At some point after she leaves there will be a period where there is only a few hours of daylight, completely opposite of what she experienced.  She loved Alaska.

THE FUNNY MOM FROM PENNSYLVANIA: She was taking her two girls to Medieval Times for their show and dinner when I picked them up.  I asked her what brought her to Myrtle Beach and she said, "My girls (8 and 10) were here for dancing, for The Future Strippers of America." She said it so seriously I had to clarify that she was kidding.  When I told her about the special game that I used to play with my three kid,(the silent game), she told me about her game.  I line the three of them up(a 4 year old too) and I tape three dollar bills to the wall. They have to put their nose on the bill and the last one to move away from the wall gets to keep the $3. She said one game lasted forty minutes!  She's very serious about her kids being taught to do chores, because she said, "I have things to do, I'm not a maid."  I told her it sounded like a great title for an article or a song-you never know.  Finally, our conversations went like this after she was looking around my car:
She said, "Where's the camera?"
 I said, "What kind of camera?"
 She said, "So you can see what your passengers are doing."
 I said, "Why would I want to see what they are doing, I'm driving?"
She said, "What if two girls pass out in the back and then accuse you of doing something you didn't do?  I thanked her for her positive story and told her I would always remember our conversation.

THE FUDRUCKER'S GUY: Have you ever had an idea for a great commercial? Maybe it's just me, but I've had a few ideas before and I think this is a very good one.  One Saturday night I picked up a couple in their 50's or 60's at a Fudruckers restaurant.(It's not a Burger King, but it's a burger place that's a step up from that) I was taking them only a few miles to a private airport. When I asked how long they had been in North Myrtle Beach, the husband said, "we just came in to have dinner." I said, "really", but I was confused.  The wife told me that her husband loves Fudruckers, but they don't have one near them in North Carolina so they came here.  They flew 35 minutes in their plane to eat at Fudruckers and it wasn't the first time.  I did ask him where they were going for dessert and he told me "nowhere, but we're going to the mountains tomorrow for dinner."  I was afraid to ask him what mountains and when I told the story to another rider they said, "I wonder if he actually flew the plane or had a pilot fly the plane."  I didn't think of that, but can you see the commercial?  They are at the airport, with the leftovers he had in his hand from Fudruckers, telling everyone he just flew in for dinner! Every time I see a Fudruckers I now think of "The Fudrucker's guy," and now you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment