Thursday, December 20, 2018

"The Muppet Christmas Carol"

Last year, 2017, was the 25th anniversary of the making of a very special movie,  "The Muppet Christmas Carol", which was directed by Brian Henson. He is the son of the Muppet creator, Jim Henson, who had recently passed away.  

During the past 15-20 years this movie has been a part of the Hoenig "Christmas Eve" festivities.(I do realize I've just said a mouthful to the rest of my Jewish family) We have watched this movie religiously every year and we've enjoyed it every year.(yes, some more than others)

This year, since we all won't be together, we won't be watching the movie. We will have our youngest daughter with us and we may just listen to the soundtrack of the songs which were written by the legendary Paul Williams.(it seems he has written songs for almost every movie)  It will be unusual not to watch the movie this year, but let me tell you why:

THE STORY: The Charles Dickens story was first published in 1843, which makes it 175 years old!  It is one of the classics and of course is known by almost every one. The character of Scrooge is iconic, an individual you can never forget

THE MUSIC: I've always loved the music and I think I have at least five of the songs on my iPod which I listen to all the time.  The songs are brilliant and are a joy to listen to.

THE ACTING: Micheal Caine plays Scrooge and although he's had a long and successful career, I find it hard to believe he's done a better acting job in another film.

HUMOR: The two narrators are Muppets, as are many of the characters.  Gonzo the Muppet narrates as Charles Dickens with the assistance of Rizzo the Rat.  Do I really have to explain more how this is funny.  Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog are married and they are hilarious together.  There are many lines in the movie that our family has repeated over the years from this movie which won't mean anything to you, but some of them are:
"Heat Wave"
"The British Way"
"I Loved it"
"Belinda!"

I often thought over the years, how could people miss out on a movie that is this good? If you've never seen this movie you can buy it at Target for $9.99, which is a steal.  Some other people have described this movie like this:

"Heartwarming"
"Charming"
"Incredibly moving"
"Best treasure ever"
"Does the word brilliant mean anything"

This is one of my top ten favorite movies of all-time, it's really that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment