Saturday, December 29, 2018

How Close Am I To Being A Southerner?

If you consider that we are on the planet earth and somewhere out there exists extra-terrestrials, the distance between us and them is further than I am from "being a southerner."  I still have a long way to go in this journey that is now officially one year old since we arrived December 27th of last year.

A friend in Highland Park, NJ., (I only have one there), commented that my blogs are more about daily life than "becoming a southerner."  It was an interesting point which inspired me to write this. (yes, it's his fault)

I think having a daily life in a different part of the country really is a significant part of "becoming a southerner".  Adjusting to the beautiful weather and occasional hurricane, "suffering" with the low gas prices, ($1.84), putting up with all the friendly people, and trying to adjust to a slower pace of daily life, are all things that we have dealt with this past year.

Living in the south and in South Carolina, another significant aspect is the lower pay.  Although having a part-time job is not unusual in other parts of the country, I think it is more common here.  There may be more retired people here than most places, but many people are trying to piece together an income they are happy with. In a tourist area like Myrtle Beach there are also less full-time jobs and many of them are in service areas.

I still have not eaten Southern grits, I have not said, "y'all" to anyone, and I do not have a southern accent.  If any of those things happen in 2019 you'll be the first to know and I will have taken one giant step towards being a "real southerner."





No comments:

Post a Comment