Friday, May 31, 2019

Taking Thomas Jefferson to the Beach

When did people start going to the beach to relax? Is it possible this tradition goes all the way back to our Founding Fathers?.  Did Washington, Adams, and Jefferson relax on the beach? What did they wear, formal attire, uniforms, or something semi-casual?  I know there were beaches back then.  At Boston Harbor during the Boston Tea Party there had to be a beach there.  Is it possible there were people sitting on the beach watching and saying, "what are they throwing into the water?"

I know it's not important, but I was just wondering.  There's probably a good chance that Thomas Jefferson did not go to the beach to relax, so I decided to take him there.  I've been reading a biography of Thomas Jefferson and decided that Memorial Day would be a good time to get some reading done under the umbrella.

I was at a critical point in the book where Thomas Jefferson at the age of 53 had been out of politics for several years.  He had been staying at home in Monticello trying to repair his home, he was in poor health and had children and grandchildren living there too and he was still mourning the death of his wife..  How is it possible that in another year he would be elected(not chosen) Vice-President of the United States and four years later be elected President of the United States?

Sitting there on the beach and hoping another storm did not ruin such a beautiful day, I realized that I'm only a few years older than Jefferson was.  Maybe it's not too late to run for office and be elected President of the United States?  There are a lot of people in their 70's running for office, including the current President.

Can you see it now: the reporter says to me, "when did you first get the idea to run for political office?"  I was sitting on a beach with Thomas Jefferson......

No comments:

Post a Comment