Friday, January 3, 2020

DRIVING ON NEW YEAR'S EVE

I do most of my Uber/Lyft driving during the early morning/day/supper hours, so driving overnight was going to be a different experience for me this year.  I was surprised how easy it was.  I took a two hour nap after work and felt pretty refreshed when I finished up at 3:30 am.  As it turned out I was awake for about 22 of 24 hours, which seems ridiculous.  I guess all those hours delivering magazines on long days helped me adjust easily.

I was prepared to eat and have some fun too.  I packed donuts, raisins, pretzels and a sandwich.  I got hungry for the sandwich around 2 am and it's probably the first time I've had a sandwich in the morning.  It tasted just as good as it does at a normal time, although I regularly eat lunch at 10 am.

It was slow picking up rides until 11 pm and it was crazy busy from 12 midnight to 1:30 am.  One thing I noticed was that the volume of people talking was very high.  I'm guessing alcohol is to blame.  I definitely talked less since it was impossible to talk at times.  I did get two hugs from women in one night which I believe equals the number I've gotten in 2,900 other rides.  Again, most likely alcohol is to blame.  After 2 am, a political argument broke out and the two sides, (liberal and conservative), sounded just as ridiculous as they do without alcohol. But, they were definitely louder and I just listened and pretended I didn't care about the subject. (not easy to do)

There were definitely a few people who were feeling no pain and they should never have been driving a car in that condition.  I made pretty good money and it was a relatively easy night.  It certainly was a different experience than I'm used to, but I did have fun also.

No comments:

Post a Comment