Thursday, January 30, 2020

January 2020-My Favorite Riders

THE PIRATE AND THE DEER-SKINNER?  It's definitely not a Disney movie, but this was entertaining.  The dating couple got in my car on New Year's Eve and they clearly had been drinking. I was taking them home before midnight, but the woman in particular definitely had had too much. She was funny, to say the least.  She explained that being "drunk in an Uber is the best place to be."  Better of course than your own car, driving or not.  I commented on the number of deer on the side of the road and she said I should "hit one and she can skin it so she can have deer sandwiches."  I'm not sure if there really is such a thing, but she learned how to skin a deer from her Dad and she was ready and able to do it.  When they got out of the car she introduced me to her boyfriend as "the pirate."  He works at the Pirate show here and he really did look like a pirate, but he has his hands full with "the deer-skinner."

SHE HAS WHAT IN HER BABY BOOK?  I've met a lot riders with unusual names, but I didn't expect to hear an unusual story about a fairly common name that I love a lot.  When I went to pick up Marissa I couldn't wait to tell her how I picked out my daughter's name about ten years before she was born.  This was the first Marissa I've picked up out of 3,000 riders, so maybe it's not that common.  After I finished the story she told me that her Dad named her after a playboy bunny.  Yes, a real playboy bunny that he liked and her Mom went along with it.  Guess what is in her baby book?  Pictures of the playboy bunny straight from the magazine, can you imagine that? I wonder what Grandma said when she looked through the book.

THE "BLESS YOUR HEART" GIRL: In the south the term "bless your heart" is used once in a while with a smile to nicely tell someone either "F You" or "F Off"  There are probably sometimes it's used to be nicer, but generally it is not a compliment.  My passenger, a girl around twenty, told me she's gotten that comment already about ten times here in South Carolina in her first five months.  I can't understand how that's happened since she was friendly and outgoing and she's from the South.  "I'm just being myself and it just happens."  I told her to keep being herself.

THE POLITICAL CONSULTANT: He was only in my car for a few minutes unfortunately.  He's a Democratic political consultant for a mayor in Virginia and I loved talking with him.  He said, "I can't wait for the Presidential Election to be over." I asked him specifically about the Democratic Primary and I agreed almost completely with what he said.  I asked if he thought Joe Biden had enough left to win it and he said he did. "He has a lot of confidence in his ability to get it done."  When I asked about a Vice-Presidential pick for Biden, he said that he would almost have to pick an African-American woman.  I had picked Kamala Harris almost two years ago and I still believe that.  He also said that, "if  Bernie Sanders is the nominee, the party is going to have to do some real soul searching."  I'm sure he won't be and there will be a lot of moderates who will not vote for him.  I wish I had more time to ask him about the Election in November, but the ride ended.

THE UNIQUE UBER DRIVER: I picked up the female Uber driver in downtown Charleston.  She was probably in early twenties and referred to herself as, "a weird chick."  She's a bartender/server and drives late at night into the early morning after she bartends a few nights a week.  "I've made about ten friends while driving who I now hang out with."  She had a great personality and with that and her age and a ring in her nose, she undoubtedly relates very well to young riders out having a good time.  She's tough too and with her bar tending experience knows how to handle people who have had too much to drink.

THE ACCIDENT: I had one of those inspirational rides the other day. My passenger was 21 years old and told me that four years ago she was a passenger in a car that got hit by a truck with a drunk driver.  She was the only injury and had to be air-lifted from the accident.  They did not think she was going to make it.  It took her two years to re-learn how to walk, to re-gain her memory, and re-learn how to talk and she had the side of her face re-constructed.  You could never guess any of this by looking at her, since she has completely recovered.  She is hard working, friendly, optimistic and very grateful to be given a second chance. She's very determined also. She said, "don't tell me I can't do something-I'm going to do it."

THE MAC N CHEESE RIDE: I was driving my female passenger who was around 20 in North Charleston when I noticed the Jim and Nick's Barbecue place.  My wife and I have been to the one in Mt. Pleasant and I asked my passenger if she has eaten there. She said she hadn't been there in 6 years or so.  I started to open my mouth to tell her that she has to try to mac n' Cheese, but before I could she said, "they have great mac n' cheese there."  We started talking and decided they have to have a meal with just mac n cheese and maybe they can add a drum stick or rib to the dish as the sides.  The mac n cheese is that good.  I suggested they could call it "Super Mac."  It would sell too, so we decided that I would talk to the manager the next time I'm there and tell them they need to put it on the menu.  My rider was looking forward to going back there to eat "our" mac n' cheese. (When I told this to a server at Jim and Nick's who I was driving, he told me they have a special mac n' cheese dish-with chicken, pork, or beef in it.  I can't wait to eat it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment