Friday, January 17, 2020

The Cold Air Was Refreshing!

I know what you're saying up there in the North-"you can say that because you live in South Carolina."  Yes, you are absolutely correct, but still, the cold air was refreshing. 

This morning I walked outside at 4:45 am.(just that should make you cringe) and I was wearing two light jackets and my winter hat.  My car said it was 48 degrees, which in the South is borderline freezing.  I didn't wear the hat long and it didn't seem that cold, but it did feel good.

We've had several days recently in the seventies, so 48 degrees was cool.  The temperature did go down some during the day which is unusual, but it did feel good.  There aren't many southerners here who would agree with me on that.

If you think about it though, there are times that cold air is refreshing.  Certainly, on a hot day in the summer when you walk into air conditioning, we can all agree that feels good.  If you work out and your body is warmed up, when you go outside into cool air, it has to feel good. (I'm only guessing on this since I don't work out)  Working as a courier on a warm day, the cool air in my car always feels good.

I used to work in a freezer when I was in college.  It was a Foodtown freezer that was six degrees below zero.  I would push around a big cart and put frozen goods on it and then push it out on the dock for someone else to load it into a truck.  If you stood still in the freezer though, it did not feel refreshing. However, if you were hustling in that temperature, it really did feel good.

Up North, you're going to have some days and nights that the temperature is going to be in the teens or single digits and I'm guessing it won't feel refreshing to you.  But, people here in the South who are from the North or the Midwest, they experience cold weather in South Carolina differently than "real" Southerners. If you've been here long enough and your blood starts to thin, you might not find cool air refreshing.  I'm still working on becoming that kind of Southerner. I still have my snow shovel with me and if I need it, I'm ready and able to use it. How much fun would that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment