Thursday, August 13, 2020

Something New and Something Gone

Over twenty years ago when I worked for THE USA TODAY, we had a contest in the office.  I teamed up with my friend KC and we had to pick a name for our team.  Someone in the office said we should be "KC and The Sunshine Man," a play on the band, "KC and The Sunshine Band."  I loved the name and I immediately thought if one day I had my own distribution business the name would be "The Sunshine Man," and I would get a white van and have a picture of my face inside of a sun on the side of the van.

In 2009, I did start my own distribution business and called it "Sunshine Man Distribution&Consulting." I never did get that white van, which is probably a good thing.  I do think it would have been funny having my picture on the side of the van, but it's also corny I guess.  Maybe I would be the only one laughing at it!

It is now 2020 and this week I purchased a 2011 white Transit Connect.  It's a cargo van with only a passenger seat. It's going to give me a little more room in delivering as a courier.  My other van, will now be my Uber van.  It will be turning three in Novemeber and it has taken a beating as a courier van and an Uber van.  The goal is to have the two vans last around the next two years, before making another purchase. I do not have any plans to put a picture of my face on the white van, unless y'all think it's a good idea!(ha ha)

At the same time, this weekend is officially the final week of operations for "Sunshine Man Distribution&Consulting in New Jersey after eleven years.  When I moved to South Carolina two and a half years ago, I kept the business going to have some steady income and also to help my three drivers and two publishers with the transition of me moving out of state.  

It's a good time to end things up since almost all of the money that is made in NJ goes to the drivers, who are doing the work.  I found out that in order to stop making money asa business in NJ, you have to pay the state some money. Maybe that's the case in other states too, but I'm not happy about it.

So, I have a new van and "Sunshine Man Distribution" will continue in South Carolina with my Ubering and driving as a courier.


No comments:

Post a Comment