Tuesday, December 28, 2021

If I Have To Bribe Ford to Build My Car, How Much Would It Take?

My conversation a week ago with my sales rep at Ford was not a fun conversation.  Eight months ago I gave them $1,000 to build my car.  It's the first time I've ever ordered a car.  The computer chip shortage has delayed my car and after eight months I don't know when they are going to build it.  I told the sales rep that I have no faith that Ford will be able to build it, despite the fact they are building my same vehicle and sending them to dealerships that do not have a buyer yet.

This car is not a fancy car, but it is obviously orange.(a tribute to my Dad who I lost early in the year.  It was his favorite color)  My sales rep told me there is nothing they can do, but wait until they are ready to make it.  I told him that if I needed to bribe someone I will and he laughed.  When the conversation ended, I reminded him to let someone know I am willing to bribe them to build the car and I was serious.

The question is: how much would I be willing to bribe or give someone some incentive? My Ford Transit is approaching 250,000 miles and I use it only on the weekends for Ubering. Would I pay $500? Yes, I would? $1,000? I think I would, but I'm not sure I would go higher than that.

This past weekend I decided I was tired of waiting and I would find a silver Ford Transit and have it painted.  Would it cost a lot more? Yes, but eight months is too long.  Monday morning I was looking online to find dealerships with the car and my sales rep called me.  They have a serial number for my orange car and they are starting to make it January 12th!

When they finish making it they will have an estimated delivery date which will probably be March or April.  I need my current car to last about 10,000 more miles, can it make it to 260,000 miles? We'll see, but the big news is: ORANGE CAR COMING!

No comments:

Post a Comment