Friday, February 24, 2023

Laughter Yoga Lost a Very Big Fan

This past Monday, my mother-in-law Erna, passed away at the age of 86.  She had lived a difficult life with many health issues.  Five years ago, we brought her to South Carolina and for a couple years she was able to enjoy the warmer climate and a better environment. When COVID happened in March 2020, like many people, she wasn't able to do the same things she was doing. 

The first time I met her was 43 years ago this May when I picked up her daughter for our first date. Over the years,  I've spent a considerable amount of time with her talking and taking her to different places, such as: the park, greenhouses to look/buy plants and flowers, stores and a slew of supermarkets.

During the last five years she's lived in an assisted living facility not far from where we live. One of the things she enjoyed doing was laughter yoga. It's a combination of voluntary laughing and breathing exercises.  I did it with her a few times and watched a guy laughing on her phone.  If someone is laughing a lot, it is difficult not to laugh right along. (Unless of course it is someone in Temple and you can resist because you know it's very inappropriate)

You can't help but feel better laughing a lot because of all the endorphins that are released when you laugh.  However, my mother-in-law did not tell me the disadvantages of laughter yoga.  This is a real list, I am not kidding:  "Hernias, bleeding hemorrhoids, persistent cough, epilepsy, heart disease, high blood pressure, incontinence, and major psychiatric disorders."  I wish I could talk to her right now about this, we would have a very good laugh.

Below are a few pictures that were taken over the last few years which I think is a nice way to remember her:

1. With her daughter (My wife), Monika and her sister Irma


2. With my wife Monika


3. With me


4. Just her



5. Holiday party two months ago with her


6.  Her



 

No comments:

Post a Comment