Monday, October 9, 2023

IT'S DOCTOR WEEK-DO I NEED GLASSES?

NO, absolutely, positively, the answer is no. I knew this before my eye exam today.  I went for a check-up, because I promised my wife I would go to the eye doctor and get a physical in the fall.  Today was the optometrist and next Monday my regular doctor, whoever he is.

I know there are many people my age, 63, and younger, who regularly make a lot of visits to doctor offices on a regular basis.  I am fortunate with my health, but there was a time in my life between the ages of 13-16, I had a lot of visits due to stomach problems and broken bones every few months.

My wife and children have been talking to me about getting my eyes checked for a few years.  The last time I got them checked was approximately 2007.  My wife has explained to me that everyone in my immediate family has glasses.  I explained to her that you don't get glasses or contacts because everyone else has them.  I love to read and have literally read hundreds of books since 2007 and have not had a problem reading.  I told her that the day I have trouble reading, I will call for an appointment, because reading is very important to me. I also have driven maybe a million miles without any trouble driving, not counting the intense fog in Kansas this summer.

My wife drove me to the eye doctor and before I got out of the car I said, "Are you sure I should do this?" As I walked into the examining room I passed this picture on the wall and I thought to myself, "Is that really what people want to see before the big exam?"


The first thing they did was flash a bunch of colors at moving and little moving things just to make sure my vision was impaired a little bit. The optometrist came in and I saw the eye chart.  He told me that my right eye was much stronger from far away and my left eye was better from close up. He said my vision was good. Before the dilation, the assistant told me my vision was, "Very good, you don't need glasses." 

They checked for all the diseases and he showed me highlights of my eyeballs and said, "You don't need glasses." I told him, ready for this-an Uber story of the optometrist who told me that there are many people in their sixties who don't need glasses, but everyone in their seventies does.  He laughed and said he would disagree with that and here was the clincher, "You may not need them into your seventies." I made sure he wrote a note to my wife and below is his message.  The lady at the front desk highlighted it, I think for anyone who has trouble seeing. This blog can be referred back to by anyone in my family on a regular yearly basis.


I promise, I will go back...in a few years or if I have trouble seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment