Saturday, June 2, 2018

He Called Me "Gramps"

I know there are a lot of people who are sensitive about their age.  They don't like their birthday and they say they are 29 years old when obviously they WERE 29 years old at some point awhile ago.  My age has never really bothered me, because I feel a lot younger than almost 58.  I have a hard time believing that I will be 58, but every time I do the math (2018 minus 1960) I still come up with 58.

I remember last year when a group of middle aged men were walking towards me and one said, "hey old man," I was really surprised.  Was he really talking to me? He may have been my age, so it really didn't make any sense.  But, yesterday I was surprised again.

I was delivering in a restaurant and the staff was very friendly with several people saying hello.  I had never been there before, so it was a little odd.  And then a guy in his twenties said, "hi gramps."  I just nodded because I didn't know what to say.  No quick one liners came out of my mouth.

I wondered afterwards, how old does he think I am? Does he call a lot of people "gramps?" I'm certainly not a grandpa yet and although I have very little hair on my head, do I really look like a "gramps?"  I don't think so. 

Which leads me to wonder, at what age does someone look like "gramps?"


No comments:

Post a Comment