Saturday, June 2, 2018

See The Good

When you're driving a long distance you get to see a lot of things if you're paying attention.  Sometimes you'll see overpasses above you and sometimes they will have an American flag flying or balloons or sometimes they'll be a message you can read.  Who puts these things up there and why is a mystery, but they are difficult to miss.

Last weekend driving to Atlanta I was approaching an overpass and in big red letters attached to a fence was this message, "See The Good."  A pretty interesting message I thought.  All too often it's easy for us to first think, what's wrong with that or what don't I like about that thing or that new person I just met.

What would happen if we all focused first on seeing the good? It's not easy to do, but it can be done. I found out the other day that I was going to be doing daily deliveries inside of a hospital to departments instead of mainly stores and office buildings.

My first thought was that I don't like hospitals, the sickness, the crowds, the atmosphere, etc.  But then I remembered the message, "See The Good."  I might make some more money doing the hospital deliveries,. I may be driving less miles and I won't have to put as many addresses in my GPS. Finally, I'm going to spend an hour or two each day in air conditioning instead of outside in the hot sun.  It does sound pretty good to me now.

There are bad things, terrible things that happen to people and very difficult situations that people have to deal with.  However, by focusing on the positive, what's good about it, you can definitely help yourself deal with situation. You may find that things are better than you first thought.

My favorite quote I read a long time ago from Napoleon Hill, who was an adviser to several Presidents of the United States:


The next time you come upon a situation or challenge and you start thinking negatively about it, stop yourself and "See The Good."

No comments:

Post a Comment