Friday, June 29, 2018

The New Highway

Things happen a little slower down here in South Carolina, it's a very common thing.  Some of the road construction has gone on for years and it may be a few more years before it actually gets done.

There's a new highway that has been delayed and it opened yesterday.  Well, I thought it opened because the road was not blocked.  I missed the turn yesterday, but today I made the turn and immediately slowed down.  It did not look like it was open.  I thought a construction worker was going to start waving his hands at me, but I proceeded slowly.

It was eerie.  No cars in front of me or in back of me.  There were no lines paved on the road.  Construction workers were working on both sides of the highway. And then a roadblock!  I pulled up to a worker and asked, "Is the road open?"  He said it was and I should go through the small path around the barriers and I did it.

After ten to fifteen minutes of driving at a slower pace, I did not see a single car. How long will they have barriers on the road and construction workers walking on the highway?  I have no idea.  I would have made great time if I was traveling at a normal highway speed, but it was kind of fun to have my own highway in the middle of the day. 

Wouldn't it be great if you could be the only car on the road once in awhile?

No comments:

Post a Comment