Saturday, July 7, 2018

Teaching History

History was always my favorite subject until I discovered political science.  There's a lot of history in political science, so you could say history is still my favorite subject.  A couple times in my life I seriously considered going back to school to be a teacher and I would have wanted to teach history.  However, sometimes you can teach history in different ways.

As a courier, delivering boxes to people, gives me the opportunity to teach a little history.  One woman's last name was Hoover and I told her how Herbert Hoover was an engineer and a great humanitarian during World War 1 and there are literally streets in Europe named Hoover in his honor.  When he was well into his eighties he liked to work ten hour days in his office, he had an incredible work ethic.  Unfortunately he was not able to translate his very successful career into a successful presidency which resulted in the depression.  Of course I did this in a minute or two, but it was fun.

Yesterday I told a woman whose last name was Wilson that Woodrow Wilson came from New Jersey, which she did not know.  When I referred to her as Mrs. President, she laughed and said I made her day.

I've now had two women with the last name of Cox and I told them about James Cox, who lost a Presidential Election in the 1920's.  He came from the mid-west and founded the company, Cox Enterprises which I used to work for.(Cox Auto Trader)  The most interesting thing about his election was his running mate, a guy you have heard of- Franklin Delano Roosevelt. How many people know he lost a presidential election?

You never know when some history can be slipped into your life.  Just my way of teaching you some history too.

No comments:

Post a Comment