Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The New Yorker

No, not that New Yorker.  I met another New Yorker recently and he had me laughing.  I delivered something to his door and asked him to sign for it.  He looked at my Yankee hat and said, "I'm not signing while you wear that hat."

He was a depressed Met fan as many are this year.  He started telling me stories of how he became a Met fan and how the ownership had ruined his team.  I said, "but at least you live in a beautiful neighborhood."  He replied, "it is, there are only three assholes who live here."

He looked at my van and said, "they should have given you a bigger van." When I told him it was my van, he had a guilty look on his face.  He told me that I was a young guy and I had to defend my age by telling him I was almost 58!  He said he had socks older than that, which I'm pretty sure is a very old Henny Youngman line.(comedian)

I told him that he looked great for 90 and he laughed and said he was "only 75."  He pointed to the red sports car in the garage and told me that he "terrorizes the neighborhood in that."  This New Yorker was quite a character and that New York character was still very much a part of him, although he had been living in Myrtle Beach the past twenty years.

As I pulled away I was still laughing at some the things he said, including his colorful language.  And then it dawned on me how many of us are worried about an older loved one-are they drinking enough, or eating enough, or eating too much candy?  Here's a 75-year old man admitting that he terrorizes a neighborhood in a sports car. Maybe we shouldn't worry so much about our loved ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment